Cooking in Your Camper Van
Why do American’s love tacos so much? It could be the fact that they’re the ultimate handheld food or that you can literally put anything in them and they will taste incredible. The internet’s taco obsession isn’t going anywhere… cue the meme, “I wish I was full of tacos instead of emotions,” and to be clear, we’re here for it. That’s why today we are sharing our own chicken taco van recipe. It’s simple, it’s delicious and it can be modified to fit your culinary needs.
Dress them up or down, and don’t be shy about it. Tacos are great to fit each individual preference and while we love our recipe, we encourage you to take it and then make it your own. Check it out below.
What You’ll Need:
– Cutting knife
– Cutting board
– Multiple bowls (4)
– Olive oil
– Chicken (or any meat/meat substitute you like)
– Salt and pepper
– Tony Chachere’s Famous Creole Seasoning
– Flour taco shells
– Canned black beans
– Tortilla chips
– Serrano pepper
– Uncle Ben’s microwaveable rice
– Hot sauce (optional)
1. Strain black beans. Set aside in a bowl.
2. Make guacamole by mixing fresh avocado, salt, lime, cilantro, and chopped serrano pepper (de-seed if you’re sensitive to spice). Set aside in a bowl.
3. Dice one lime. Set aside in a bowl.
4. Place feta, cabbage, and any other toppings you desire (jalapeno, cilantro, etc) in separate bowls.
5. Time to season the chicken! We recommend Tony’s seasoning or you can keep it classic with just salt and pepper. Season both sides of chicken.
6. Warm cooking pan over medium heat.
7. Grease pan with oil and allow to heat for a minute.
8. Add chicken and cook until golden brown. Flip and repeat. Make sure chicken is cooked all the way through.
9. Place on plate and cover (with a lid or second plate) while chicken cools.
10. Use a heated pan to warm up tortillas!
11. Place one tortilla in the pan, let sit for 15 seconds and flip. Repeat on the other side.
12. Assemble your tacos! Dress the tacos to your liking! We suggest first adding chicken. Then top with cabbage, guacamole, black bean, feta, jalapeno, salsa, and hot sauce.
13. Dig in!